Please see the guidance in the drop down boxes below regarding the process for requesting an EHC Needs Assessment in Nottinghamshire.
Integrated Children’s Disability Service (ICDS) - Assessment Team
Following the feedback we have received since September 2016 from families and professionals who have told us that the impact of the increased demand for EHC needs assessments requests has had a knock on effect on the number of professional reports being requested, which has then impacted on our ability to meet timelines and give families a response in a timely way, we have been exploring how we can improve the current process.
With a view to making the process more streamlined we have now introduced a new EHC Guidance and Checklist booklet for parent/carers to complete with their child, young person’s Education placement/link when considering requesting an EHC needs assessment. This will then be used as part of the request for an EHC needs assessment (see downloads on the right side of the page).
This will ensure that the Local Authority receives all of the information needed to make a fully informed decision as to whether or not to proceed with an EHC needs assessment at a much earlier stage. We are then able to give a decision earlier on in the 20 week process as to whether or not we are progressing an EHC needs assessment and where a statutory plan is issued this will give us more time to get this right for the child, young person. This process is in-line with what many of our neighbouring local authorities have in place currently and is reported to be working well.
For full guidance on the EHC Needs Assessment request process please read the EHC Process Leaflet
Considering whether an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessment is necessary is based on the information below:
- Does the child/young person have, or may have, special educational needs which calls for special educational provision to be made?
- Does the child, young person require special educational provision that is additional to, or different from, that made generally for others of the same age; directly related to their Special Educational Need?
- Is the child/young person making expected educational progress? Has the progress made only been as the result of additional intervention and support over and above that which is usually provided?
- May it be necessary for special educational provision to be made in accordance with an EHC plan? (Can the support and help only be given to the child or young person if they have an EHC plan)
The information is discussed by a panel who also consider the views, wishes & feelings of the child, young person and their parent/carers.
In Nottinghamshire, we ask that, wherever possible, parents and education settings discuss an EHC needs assessment request using the 'EHC Guidance Checklist' under downloads on the right side of this page. For parents/carers, we recommend that the next steps are to:
- arrange a meeting with a professional in the education setting, usually the SENCO
- attend the meeting and complete, with the education setting, the ‘checklist’
- decide if you and/or the education setting wish to make an EHC needs assessment request
If you then wish to make a referral for an EHC needs assessment, please complete the following forms, which can be found under 'downloads' on this page:
- EHC guidance checklist
- EHC request report from school/college
- EHC needs assessment request information from parent/carer and consent form
and then send to the Integrated Children's Disability Service:
Tel: 0115 804 1275
EHC Digital Hub
The Local Authority have developed the EHC Digital Hub and, after trialing this in two of our districts, this is now live in all areas. From November 2019 the EHC Digital Hub has been used for all new EHC Assessment Requests
To progress a new request users will still need complete the EHC guidance checklist as well as completing the information requested within the EHC Hub. The checklist and any other information (e.g. health reports), that will be helpful to support a new request should then be uploaded to the hub before submitting the online request. The checklist can be found under 'documents' on this page.
Requesting a new EHC assessment
To request a new EHC assessment please click on the following link: EHC Assessment
To access the EHC Hub please click on the following link: EHC Hub
How to Register for an Account
A short video is also available here: Registering for an account
Managing your EHC Hub Account
Guidance for Families and Young people
School SENCO - Making a request for an Assessment
A short video is also available here: Requesting an Assessment
Contributing Practitioner - How to Provide Advice Towards an Assessment
A short video is also available here: Contributing to EHC Plans
School SENCO - Arranging an EHC Hub Review
Annual review functionality is being rolled out incrementally during 2019 and early 2020. We will be in touch once your schools EHC plans are all transferred to the EHC Hub.
A short video is also available here: EHC Hub Reviews
For further guidance on accessing and using the Nottinghamshire EHC Hub in the first instance please contact CFCS.Systems@nottscc.gov.uk
For further information relating to the EHC Needs Assessment Request process please contact the Integrated Children's Disability Service (ICDS) Assessment Team on the contact details below (please note that the email address will depend on which district you live in):