Health and Happiness

Looking after yourself is really important and we want to give you all the support you need to be as physically, mentally and emotionally healthy as possible.  Everyone is different and we will help you to access the health and well-being services and activities that are right for you.  When you leave care:

We’ll support you to look after your health and wellbeing

Your personal adviser can support you with anything to do with your health and well-being.  They’ll also have information about the health professionals who already support you.   On leaving care you will now receive the same health services as any other adult, this includes a GP.

If you have an additional health condition and regularly see a health specialist, that worker will help you to make sure you have your needs met by adult health services when you turn 18.

If you’re having support from child and adolescent mental health services (CAMHS), your worker will help you get support from adult mental health services, if you need them.

We’ll give you information about your health needs, and health history

Nottinghamshire County Council had responsibility for you when you were in care, so when you leave care we will give you a summary of your health needs and your medical history in a document called “Important Health Information”. If a different authority had responsibility for you when you were in care, they will give you this information instead.

The information from your last annual health assessment and your Leaving Care Review will feed into your Pathway Plan. This will include the things you need to be able to look after your physical, mental and emotional health after you’ve left care.


We’ll give you information about local health services and support

There is a range of health services and support available to help you. Below provides some examples of the physical and mental health and well-being services available, as well as the information on how to contact them if you need to. Your personal adviser can help you to do this if you need them to. 

Click on the sections below to explore what is available

Support for your emotional and mental health

It is normal to experience changes in your mood and behaviour, particularly at times of stress and emotional upset. If these changes continue to affect you there is a range of services that can help. If you’re not sure what service you need or would like some help to access them, ask your personal adviser for advice.

Additional information to help with your emotional and mental health:

 Psychological therapy services:

Psychological therapy services offer assessment and treatment for emotional health and wellbeing, and are often known as talking therapies. You can refer yourself directly to a psychological therapy service for concerns like stress, anxiety, depression, OCD, trauma and phobias.

In Nottinghamshire there are three different services. If you are registered with a GP practice in Mid-Nottinghamshire you'll need to use Insight Healthcare. If you are registered with a GP in South Nottinghamshire or Bassetlaw you can use any of the three providers listed below.

Kooth counselling: is an online counselling service for young people aged up to 25. It is a safe, confidential and non-stigmatised way for you receive free counselling, advice and support on-line from fully trained and qualified counsellors. Go to to find out more.



Your GP will offer advice and support around your mental health. They can also help identify if you need help from specialist adult mental health services, and support you to access these.


You Know Your Mind:

‘You Know Your Mind’ is a project that seeks to give you more choice and control over how you can improve your mental health - recognising that only you will know what works for you. Your personal adviser can discuss this with you and can refer you into the project.

 Let's Live Well in Rushcliffe

If you live in Rushcliffe, this programme will help you to connect to local groups, activities and places to help you improve your wellbeing. You will also be supported by a Health Coach who will discuss an action plan that focuses on what matters to you.  Contact 07909 890 699 or or you can ask your GP or personal adviser to refer you.  

Voluntary and Community Sector-run mental and emotional health services and support

We R Here:

Offer free counselling and support for anyone who has had a traumatic life experience.  It also run self-esteem courses and practical support in times of crisis.  Contact 0115 920 6241 or 07891 306 972 or visit  Or you could ask your personal adviser or other worker to contact them for you.

If you have a disability

If you have a disability your social worker will start to work with you, usually when you are about 16 (it can be later) to look at what might be the best housing options for you when you leave care.  If appropriate, you will be introduced to a new worker who will support you when you turn 18 and will work out if you can get on-going support from Adult Social Care.  If you do, you will have a financial assessment and you may have to pay towards this support. In any case, this care leaver Offer applies to you.

If you do not need support from Adult Social Care at this time, but at a later point in your life, you can telephone Nottinghamshire County Council Customer Services Centre on 0300 500 80 80 for advice and guidance. They will guide you and signpost you to the most appropriate support. You can also look at Notts Help Yourself which contains lots of information about different types of support you can access as an adult.


Help to pay for healthcare charges

If you are under 19 and in full-time education, on a low income, receiving benefits, a lone parent, sick and/or disabled it is likely that you won’t have to pay many NHS charges.  You may have to apply for discounts or exemptions from charges through the NHS Low Income Scheme  NHS Low Income Scheme

In some cases we may be able to help you by paying for additional charges that aren’t covered by exemptions.  Ask your personal adviser for more information.

Other support available

If you’d like them to, your personal adviser can also support you to

  • register with a local doctor (GP), dentist and other health services (such as an optician) when you move home
  • attend hospital, GP or other health appointments
  • access drug and alcohol support
  • register for a C-Card (for access to free contraception)
Contraception and sexual health

Contraception and sexual health:

Using the right contraception helps you avoid unplanned pregnancies. You can get advice and contraception from your Doctors (GP), your local sexual health service, and some pharmacies (visit to check). Contraception is free on the NHS.  


The C Card scheme is a free condom and sexual health advice service for young people aged up to 25. Young people can get condoms, lubricants and advice on sex, STIs and relationships. See CCard 


Sexual health services:

Looking after your sexual health is important. Nottinghamshire sexual health services are free and confidential. Your local sexual health service depends on where you live:


  • If you live in Bassetlaw

Tri Health Bassetlaw TriHealth

Tel: 01909 506418


  • If you live in Mansfield, Ashfield, Newark or Sherwood

My Sexual Health MySexualHealth

Tel: 01623672260


  • If you live in Broxtowe, Gedling, Rushcliffe or Nottingham

NUH Sexual Health NUHNHS

Tel: 0115 9627627

Health for teens

Health for teens website in Nottinghamshire provides information on health and wellbeing for teenagers including sexual health, sexuality, relationships, drugs & alcohol, feelings & lifestyle. You may find some of the information useful HealthforTeens


Stopping smoking gives you better health for life. For support to stop smoking contact Smokefreelife by texting QUIT to 66777 or by phoning 0800 2465343 or 0115 772 2515. 

Healthy eating and healthy weight

Part of staying healthy is eating a healthy diet, getting enough exercise and being a healthy weight. If you have concerns about your weight you can get support from Change Point Nottinghamshire by calling 0333 005 0092 or visiting EveryoneHealth

Drugs and alcohol


Taking drugs can have serious consequences, and their effects vary from person to person. If you are worried about drug use, get support from New Directions Nottinghamshire. You can call them on 0115 896 0798 or email

Find out more here: New Directions-Nottinghamshire  

You can also find out more information from FRANK



If you are worried about drinking, get support from New Directions Nottinghamshire. You can call them 0115 896 0798 or email them on

Find out more here New Directions-Nottinghamshire 

You can also find out more information about drinking alcohol, including how to drink responsibly, here: DrinkAware


You may have met or will meet different kinds of doctors during your life.  For example, your local doctor, also known as GPs, who look after the health of people living in their local area, and deal with a whole range of health problems; consultants, who are specialists in certain areas of illness such as allergies, eyesight, mental health; and doctors who work in Accident and Emergency.

To find a doctor (GP) near to where you live, go to NHS Choices and click ‘Find a GP’. Once you have found a doctors surgery near to where you live, visit them and ask to register. You’ll need your NHS number (which can be found on your important health information), some ID, and the name and address of your last doctor/GP (this can also be found on your Important Health Information document). They may not know that you are a care leaver, so it would be useful to tell them.  Your personal adviser can help you register with a GP.

If you need medicines you’re given a prescription from the doctor to take to a pharmacy. You may not have to pay for prescriptions if you are a student, or on benefits.  You would need to complete an “exemption form”, and your doctor’s (GP) surgery or pharmacy will be able to help you with this. Your personal adviser can also help you with this. Otherwise, you will have to pay to collect the medicine you’ve been prescribed.


Pharmacies are trained to help with many common health problems and minor injuries, including coughs and colds, aches and pains and skin rashes. They can give advice and ‘over the counter’ medicines or treatments, which you pay for. If you are given a prescription for medication by the doctor, you can take this to any pharmacy and they will dispense (supply) your medication. You can find a pharmacy near to where you live, by going to

NHS 111

NHS 111 is a 24/7 confidential telephone helpline that can help you with concerns about your health. You can find out more here: NHS111 

If you need health care outside of normal working hours (which are Monday to Friday daytimes) you should dial 111 to contact your local NHS Out of Hours health service. The staff at 111 will help you get the care you need. If you need help now, but it’s not an emergency, call 111. If it’s an emergency, always call 999. 


To find a dentist near to where you live, go onto NHS Choices and click ‘Find a dentist’. Phone or visit the dentist you have chosen and ask to register as an NHS patient. Under the NHS, you might have to pay for some check-ups and treatments. If you’re not sure, your personal adviser will be able to help you.


You can go to a local, high street optician and have an NHS eye test.  They are free up to the age of 19 if you are in full time education. After that, you may have to pay for sight tests and glasses, if you need them. Ask your personal adviser, as they will be able to help you with this and looking into whether you are entitled to any help with charges.  You may have to apply for discounts or exemptions from charges through the NHS Low Income Scheme.

Let's Live Well in Ruschliffe

If you live in Rushcliffe, this programme will help you to connect to local groups, activities and places to help you improve your wellbeing. You will also be supported by a Health Coach who will discuss an action plan that focuses on what matters to you.  Contact 07909 890 699 or Or you can ask your GP or personal adviser to refer you. 


NHS Choices

NHS Choices is a website aimed at everyone. By searching NHS choices you can find information on everything from the common cold and sickness to symptoms of sexually transmitted infections, information about contraception, and help to identify the symptoms of depression. 


Free Leisure Facilities

We are really pleased to be able to offer FREE annual membership to a local leisure centre to all our Nottinghamshire care leavers aged 18 – 25 years old.  This offer, is in conjunction with the seven Nottinghamshire district authorities, and gives you as a Nottinghamshire care leaver, a year-long membership (renewed yearly until your 25th birthday) to any Nottinghamshire District council-run leisure centre within your Nottinghamshire local authority district.  As part of this membership, you will be able to access any gym and swimming facilities alongside any of the classes held as part of the membership package, during peak/off-peak hours for FREE.


If you reside in one of the seven Nottinghamshire districts (Ashfield, Bassetlaw, Broxtowe, Gedling, Mansfield, Newark and Sherwood, or Rushcliffe) and you identify yourself as a Nottinghamshire care leaver then please contact your Personal Advisor for more information or if you are aged 21 – 24 years old and wish to access this offer, then please contact the 21Plus Team on 0115 8044154 or email them at


Page last reviewed: 17/04/2023

Skip back to top of page