The SEND Accountability Board was established in January 2017 following the joint Care Quality Commission and Ofsted Local Area Inspection in June 2016.
The purpose of the Board is to lead and co-ordinate the continuous improvement of Nottinghamshire’s implementation of the Children and Families Act 2014 and the SEND Code of Practice.
The SEND Accountability Board’s vision for the local area is for children and young people with SEND to be safe and happy, to have a good quality of life and opportunities to achieve their aspirations, to develop their independence and make a positive contribution to society.
The partnership is committed to the co-production of services with families and listening to the voices of children and young people.
The Board has a number of responsibilities including:
- To facilitate partnership and multi-agency leadership of SEND in the local area.
- To develop and monitor the delivery of the multi-agency local area SEND Strategic Action Plan (SSAP).
- To monitor the local area’s continuous improvement approach to the implementation of the SEND reforms.
- To consider and approve the actions required to progress ‘areas for development’ as identified by the Joint Care Quality Commission and Ofsted Inspection in June 2016.
- To ensure the recommendations of the 2015/16 Nottinghamshire SEND Review and the Improving Outcomes for Children and Young People with Disabilities Programme are implemented in full.
- To approve the annual update of the SEND Local Area Self Evaluation document, to ensure that an accurate picture of performance and progress is maintained.
- To ensure that the views of children and young people and their parents/carers inform the work of the Board and its action plan.
- To inform the focus of future triennial statutory review of SEND arrangements.
- To ensure agreed actions are aligned to the key responsibilities of all statutory partners and their duty to co-operate as outlined in Section 28 of the Children and Families Act 2014.
- To support, monitor and approve the work of the SEND Strategic Development Lead.
Multi-agency local area SEND Strategic Action Plan
During 2015-2016, three significant reviews of SEND services in Nottinghamshire took place resulting in a number of recommendations for the development of services in the local area which are listed in Appendix A of the SEND Strategic Action Plan, which can be viewed under downloads on the right side of this page. These reviews were:
- The Care Quality Commission and Ofsted Joint local area SEND inspection
- The Nottinghamshire Review of Arrangements for Special Educational Needs and Disability
- The Improving Outcomes for Children and Young People with Disabilities Programme
The reviews identified a number of common areas for development, and the County Council’s Children’s and Young People Committee agreed to develop a multi-agency SEND Strategic Action Plan (SSAP), to be monitored by a SEND Accountability Board.
The areas for development in the SSAP are grouped into four initial work streams:
- Plans & Pathways
- Education Provision (which has two strands: sufficiency & quality)
- Preparing for Adulthood
Minutes of meetings
Please click in to the related pages link on the right side of this page to access the actions and notes of SEND Accountability Board meetings.