Skip to main content

Carr Hill Primary and Nursery School

A Primary and Nursery School for girls and boys aged 3 - 11 years.

Who to contact

01777 702948

Where to go

Carr Hill Primary School
Tiln Lane
DN22 6SW

Other Details

Local Offer Localoffer flash icon

Carr Hill Primary School
Local Offer Age Bands
Primary (4-10 years)

Schools Extended Local Offer Response

1. What kinds of special educational needs does the school/setting make provision for?
  • Carr Hill Primary School celebrates the differences between all of our children and values the contribution which every member of school makes to the school community and our community as a whole. 

    We recognise and embrace that good quality teaching for all children and young people and at every stage in a child and young person’s journey through early education, school and further education and training is vital to unlocking their potential. (CoP 2014 1.24)

    This SEN information report has been produced for the Nottinghamshire LA Local Offer and aims to give further information about the support that we provide to pupils with SEN

    For pupils recognised as having special educational needs or disabilities, Nottinghamshire Local Authority outline four broad ‘areas of need’ as:

    1. Cognition and Learning
    2. Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties
    3. Communication and Interaction
    4. Sensory and Physical Needs

    We aim to include all pupils regardless of the nature of the special educational need.  Our school is largely single level, with a lift in place where there is a change of level.  Access into school is largely flat, with ramps in place where necessary.  Additional equipment such as hoists, plinths, supportive seating, radio aids etc. will be sourced from the Local Authority when needed to enable us to meet a child’s specific needs.

2. (For mainstream schools & maintained nurseries only) How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think that my child may have special educational needs?

Pupils have special education needs if they have a learning need that calls for special education provision to be made. Pupils have a learning difficulty if they:

  • Have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of the same age
  • Have a disability which prevents or hinders the child from making use of educational facilities of a kinds provided for children of the same age in other schools within the Local Education Authority
  • Is under compulsory school age and falls within the definitions above or would do so if special educational provision was not made for them
  • Pupils must not be regarded as having a learning difficulty solely because of language or the form of language of their home is different from the language in which they will be taught.

If you think, or know, that your child has special educational needs then please speak to your child’s class teacher or the SENCO. As a school we use a Graduated Response process which helps us to determine if a child has a Special Educational Need.

For further details on the Graduated Response process please see the SEN Policy available on the school website. If you know, or think, that your child may have a Special Educational Need or you are worried about their progess in school you should discuss this with your child’s class teacher.  If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress you can contact the Special Educational Needs Co-Ordinator (SENCo), Mrs Fiona Wilson-MacCormack, via the school office.

3.a) How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

In order to make consistent continuous progress in relation to SEN provision the school encourages feedback from staff, parents and pupils throughout the year. Pupil and parent’s views will be sought through questionnaires, with individual parent and child feedback sought at review meetings.


Pupil progress will be monitored on a termly basis in line with the SEN Code of Practice. Provision for SEN will be mapped, monitored, reviewed and evaluated in line with school systems for pupil progress.  These processes are designed to support pupil progress.  Information from pupil progress reviews will be used to evaluate the effectiveness of provision.


There is an annual formal evaluation of the effectiveness of the school SEN provision and policy. The evaluation is carried out by the SENCO, Head Teacher and SEN governor and information is gathered from different sources such as progress data, child, parent and staff surveys, parents’ evenings and questionnaires. This will be collated and published by the governing body of a maintained school on an annual basis in accordance with Section 69 of the Children and Families Act 2014. 

3.b) How will both the school/setting and I know how my child/young person is doing and how will the school/setting help me to support their learning?

Carr Hill Primary School will regularly monitor the progress of all pupils and formally record this termly. Staff will then look at the progress being made and consider any further support that may be appropriate.


Reviews will take place at least twice a year and parents will be encouraged to actively take part in these. At these meetings progress will be discussed, future actions decided, new targets set and ideas for how you can support your child at home will be discussed. 

3.c) What is the school's approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

At Carr Hill Primary School, we aim to offer excellence and choice to all our children, whatever their ability or needs. We have high expectations of all our children. We aim to achieve this through the removal of barriers to learning and participation. We want all our children to feel that they are a valued part of our school community. We aim to create an environment that meets the special educational needs of each child, which will enable them to have full access to all elements of the school curriculum, trips and clubs etc.

Where a pupil is receiving SEN support, school staff will arrange to meet parents at least termly to set clear goals, discuss the activities and support that will help achieve them, review progress and identify the responsibilities of the parent, the pupil and the school.  These meetings will need to allow sufficient time to explore the parents’ views and to plan effectively.

The views of the child will be central to this planning. This could be through involving the child in all or part of the meeting, or gathering their views as part of the preparation for the meeting.

Where a child/young person continues to make little or no progress, despite well-founded support that is matched to the child’s/young person’s area of need, the school will consider involving specialists, including those from outside agencies. This will be done in consultation with parents and a referral will be presented at one of the termly Family Springboard meetings.

If a child or young person has lifelong or significant difficulties, they may undergo a Statutory Assessment Process which is usually requested by the school but can be requested by a parent. This will occur where the complexity of need or a lack of clarity around the needs of the child are such that a multi-agency approach to assessing that need, to planning provision and identifying resources, is required.
The decision to make a referral for an Education, Health and Care Plan will be taken at a progress review and will combine information from all who support the pupil.  More information about this process can be found in the Nottinghamshire Local Offer Website ( ).

3.d) How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child/young person's needs?

Class teacher input, through excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning or through outdoor learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • Your child’s teacher will keep in touch with you so that information can be shared. 

Specific group or individual (1 to 1) work

This would mean that your child would be involved in a specific, carefully planned and tested, appropriate Intervention which may be:

  •  Run in the classroom by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).
  • Run out of the classroom with a teacher or teaching assistant at various times.

Specialist support offered by outside agencies such as: 

  • Speech and Language therapy
  • Schools and Families Specialist Services (SFSS)
  • The Education Psychology Service (EPS)
  • Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need)
  • Health representatives
  • Outside agencies such Bassetlaw Primary Behaviour Partnership (BPBP), Health Families Team etc.

What could happen?

You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. an Educational Psychologist. This referral involves a summary of your child’s needs being taken to a working body of professional people called a ‘Springboard’ and asking relevant professionals for support. These referral systems take place termly and include the Elizabethan Family of schools representatives. If support is then allocated, it may help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school. This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups. Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. For your child this would mean: 

  • This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), previously known as a Statement of Special Educational Needs. This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of personalised individual or small-group teaching to meet their severe and complex needs most effectively.
  • This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.


Specified Individual support

  • The specialist professional will work with your child’s class teacher for a limited period of time to understand their needs more fully and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.
  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
3.e) How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

Decisions made about support are taken by the class teachers, phase group co-ordinators and the SENCo, during pupil progress meetings or Review Meetings for SEN pupils.  If further support if required, beyond that which the school is expected to fund, then the SENCo will apply for external funding.

3.f) How will my child/young person be included in activities outside the classroom, including school trips?

Your child will be included in all trips and extra activities.  Sometimes adaptations will be required to enable your child to participate. Additional, appropriate equipment such as hoists, plinths, supportive seating, radio aids etc will be sourced from the local authority when needed, to ensure all children are able to access activities outside of the classroom. Further adult support may also be put in place to enable access to activities.

3.g) What support will there be for my child/young person's overall well-being?

The well-being of all pupils at Carr Hill Primary School is of the upmost importance. As a school we provide all pupils with emotional support, and can offer additional, specific support on a small group/one to one basis as appropriate. School also works closely with parents/carers and other outside agencies, such as the School Nursing team, Educational Psychologists and CAMHS workers to ensure children’s overall well-being. We currently employ a Health Mentor who offers identified pupils additional health and well-being support and also have an identified ELSA Emotional Literacy Support Assistant)Teaching Assistant employed who can work with pupils with identified social and emotional needs.  Mrs Vanessa Smith is out Parent Link Teacher who is also available to support families if required.


4. (For mainstream schools and maintained nurseries) Who is the school/setting's special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details.


The person co-ordinating the day to day provision of education for pupils with SEN is Mrs Fiona Wilson-MacCormack – SENCO

Contact details:

Telephone 01777 702948.


5. a) What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?


We aim to keep all school staff up to date with relevant training and developments in teaching practice in relation to the needs of pupils with SEN.


Other training for teacher and TAs will be organised as and when required. Individual staff will also attend specific training run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from the SFSS Team, when available and relevant.


The SENCo attends relevant SEN courses, Family SEN meetings and facilitates/signposts relevant SEN focused external training opportunities for all staff.

5.b) What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

The school continues to build strong working relationships and links with external support services, as well as sharing expertise within school, in order to fully support our SEN pupils and aid school inclusion.  These include

  • Teachers responsible for teaching SEND groups/individuals
  • Teaching Assistants working with either individual children or small groups
  • Teaching Assistants offering support for children with emotional and social development through our accredited Nurture Group, The Tree House
  • Local Authority Provision delivered in school
  • Schools and Families Specialist Services
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
  • Health Provision delivered in school
  • Healthy Families Team (previously School Nursing service)
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs
  • Bassetlaw Primary Behaviour Partnership
6. How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with special educational needs secured? How accessible is the school/setting?
  • A referral the Physical Disability Service can be made for any equipment that the child may need whilst in school, such as plinths, walking aids, personal care requirements etc. The service also provides training for staff and support in writing health care plans, risk assessments and intimate care plans amongst other types of paperwork as required.
  • A referral for inclusive technology can also be made if the school feel that they cannot meet the needs of the child with the technology already available in school.
  • Our school is largely single level, with a lift in place where there is a change of level. Access into school is largely flat, with ramps in place where necessary.  Additional equipment such as hoists, plinths, supportive seating, radio aids etc. will be sourced from the Local Authority when needed to enable us to meet a child’s specific needs.
7. What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with special educational needs? How will be I involved in the education of my child/young person?

Carr Hill Primary School believes that a close working relationship with parents is vital in order to ensure


  1. early and accurate identification and assessment of SEN leading to the correct intervention and provision
  2. continuing social and academic progress of children with SEN
  3. personal and academic targets are set and met effectively



Parents can contact their child’s class teacher and/or the SENCo if they have a particular concern about their child and/ or the provision being made for them.  


Parents are kept up to date with their child’s progress through progress reports, parents’ evenings, and review meetings where appropriate. In cases where more frequent regular contact with parents is necessary, this will be arranged based on the individual pupil’s needs. The SENCo may also signpost parents of pupils with SEN to the local authority Parent Partnership service where specific advice, guidance and support may be required.


If an assessment or referral indicates that a pupil has additional learning needs the parents and the pupil will always be consulted with regards to future provision. Parents are invited to attend meetings with external agencies regarding their child and are kept up to date and consulted on any points of action drawn up in regards to the provision for their child. 

8. What are the arrangements for consulting young people with SEN and involving them in their education?

As children get older teachers discuss targets and children are encouraged to identify their own areas of need. The views of the child are always sought when preparing for a review with parents and other agencies. They complete a pupil’s views sheet showing their thoughts and feelings before a review meeting and may attend meetings if this is appropriate.

9. What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school/setting?

If a parent or carer has any concerns or complaints regarding the care or welfare of their child, an appointment can be made by them to speak to the SENCO, who will be able to advise on formal procedures for complaint.  The School Complaints Procedure can be found on the school website which gives further information on the way in which complaints are dealt with in school.

10. How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority support services and voluntary organisations) in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

The school continues to build strong working relationships and links with external support services in order to fully support our SEN pupils and aid school inclusion.

 Sharing knowledge and information with our support services is key to the effective and successful SEN provision within our school. Any one of the support services may raise concerns about a pupil. This will then be brought to the attention of the SENCO who will then inform the child’s parents.


The following services will be involved as and when necessary:

  • Schools and Families Specialist Services
  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)
  • Health Provision delivered in school
  • Healthy Families Team (previously School Nursing service)
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • CAMHs
  • Bassetlaw Primary Behaviour Partnership
11. How does the school/setting seek to signpost organisations, services etc who can provide additional support to parents/carers/young people?


Regular meetings provide opportunities for parents and school to discuss the needs of a child. The class teacher/SENCo will have the knowledge to refer/signpost parents to services/groups that are relevant for their child’s needs.

Alternatively, parents can access Nottinghamshire’s local offer website which contains information about services available to families. This can be found at:

12. How will the school/setting prepare my child/young person to: i) Join the school/setting?

Transition from other settings into Carr Hill


  • Parents and pupils may come for an informal visit to our setting and discuss the needs of their child with the Head Teacher and/or SENCo
  • School will liaise with other setting/parents/other professionals to gather information on the child’s needs prior to them starting at Carr Hill
ii) Transfer between phases of education (e.g. early years to primary, primary to secondary etc)?

Transition from Carr Hill to another setting


  • School will liaise with parents to ensure a smooth transition into other settings and pass on relevant information
  • Parents of pupils with SEN will be encouraged to visit local education providers with regards to their secondary education from Year Five
  • Staff will actively promote Parents Open Evenings at the local schools and offer assistance if requested by parents
  • Close links with SENCo at chosen setting will be established to assist with a smooth transition and information sharing
  • SENCo of the new setting will be invited to attend review meetings
  • Where appropriate visits to the new establishment will be arranged to fit around the needs of the child and the arrangements of the new setting in-line with their SEN policy
iii) Prepare for adulthood and independent living?


13. Where can I access further information?

Please contact the Headteacher, Sally Alford, or the SENCO, Fiona Wilson-MacCormack, on 01777 702948, or go to

Additional information is also available via Nottinghamshire's SEND Local Offer website:


SEN Information Last Updated On: 21/08/2020

Find Us on Facebook

Facebook is monitored during office hours Monday - Friday, however if your enquiry is serious, urgent or involves personal details, we advise you to contact the team on 0300 500 80 80 or email:

Follow Us @NottsCC


Back to top Powered by Idox © 2020