The Special Educational Needs Code of Practice (2015) states that families may receive help from an Independent Supporter who can provide impartial information, advice and support when :
- the Local Authority has agreed an Education, Health and Care needs assessment is to be undertaken for a child/young person
- a Statement of SEN is being converted to an Education, Health and Care Plan.
- there is an Annual Review of an Education, Health and Care Plan.
The service is free for all :
- Parents/carers of children aged 0 - 25 years
- Young people aged 16 to 25years and in Year 12 or above
and covers both Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County areas.
For some families an initial visit and occasional telephone contact may provide the level of support they need. Other families may need more frequent face-to-face contact and/or support in meetings.
We have made a short film about our service aimed at parents and young people in year 12 or above. The film features parents and young people who we have worked with talking about independent support. Here is the link: Independent Support Film